Had a bit of a shock today... We are not so much getting restructured as completely rogered. About 80% of the staff of my office (including me) have "no position on the new structure". Which is double speak for being made redundant. They have replaced our jobs with lower graded jobs and we have a choice of taking a pay cut for the same work or a redundancy.
So I have a decision to make. Do I take a redundancy, do I take a lower paid job, or do I apply for a job somewhere in the structure where someone higher graded was kicked out of their job ? Worse still, the decisions have to be made by the end of June. And as well as getting financial advice in that time, we have to wait til people further up the "food chain" make their decisions about staying or going before we know if there will be any pay-equivalent jobs to apply for. All in four weeks.
Do I want to leave a highly paid job ? Can I grow us the equivalent in food ? Would I ever be able to match the salary in the private sector ? Is it time to put my money where my mouth is when I say I'd like to be farming full time ? Could we ever make a living off this 28 acres of sand ? It would help if DH wasn't looking at finishing his current contract at the end of June...
As you can tell my head is spinning. And it's my sister's birthday and I haven't been able to contact her to wish her happy birthday, I missed meeting my neice this afternoon to show her the ropes of farm-sitting while we are away this weekend because of the "don't come Monday" meeting at work, we had a blackout at dinner time and the cow won't let down and the calf seems to have decided to wean himself. At one month old. Tonight I could have really used a smooth milking... I'm just waiting for the meteor to smash through the roof. No eggs today either. Bah humbug.